National Ovarian Cancer Coalition

National Ovarian Cancer Coalition
Click On Cure Ovarian Cancer to Donate in Support of Julie

Monday, March 28, 2011

Chilly, Windy and Cloudy; Perfect Half Rock N Roll Marathon Weather


(l-r)  My son, Adam, My mom sally, My sister Julie, Me, Julie's husband Rob, My Nieces Simone and Marissa, My friend Susy and her son Josh, my godson at the finish line. The kids call me Tio Jefe - Uncle Chief in Spanish

Over 15,000 runners, joggers and walkers set off from Dallas City Hall on the Dallas Rock N Roll Half Marathon yesterday. 13.1 miles later, on a cool, cloudy, damp morning, there was a Brett Michaels concert and lots of food and drink at the Fair Park finish line. All accounts had this to be a well organized and well run race.

I was pretty pleased with my 2 hour 16 minute and 15 second time, as 10 days ago I was sick with a flu bug and unable to get out of bed. My son Adam, sister Julie, her husband and twin girls, our mom and my godson and his mom were all on hand to cheer me on at the finish. This is the first event of the 12 planned in my Race to Erase Ovarian cancer that Julie could attend, because the first 2 came on the heels of her chemotherapy, and she wasn't up to it. Good that she could this time - her birthday was the day before, and we hope she has many more.

Many people were racing in honor and/or memory of their loved ones lost to breast cancer, so it put in perspective how lucky I am to be able to do this fundraiser to help spread awareness and promote healthy survivorship of ovarian cancer in Julie's honor, and that Julie just had a birthday.

Here's a link directly to the fundraising page http://nocc.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=464587 - help us raise awareness to catch ovarian cancer in it's early stages and promote healthy survivorship. Thanks to all for helping with the fundraising efforts - we're almost at $9000 so far - on our way to 50K by the end of the year.

1 comment: