National Ovarian Cancer Coalition

National Ovarian Cancer Coalition
Click On Cure Ovarian Cancer to Donate in Support of Julie

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon This Sunday

Coming this week is the first Multisport event of the year, the TMS Duathlon. We'll run 2 miles in around the racetrack, transition to our bikes, ride 15 miles in the surrounding area, then transition back to the run for 2 more miles. It;s a pretty cool venue. The race is put on by Ironhead Race productions (http://www.ironheadrp.com/), and they always put on a good event.

We're well on our way, closing in on 10% of my goal of $50,000 raised for the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (www.ovarian.org), So if you know of anyone who'd like to join me in the races, support at the finish line or in a donation, the more the merrier, as we promote the cause - early detection and eradication of Ovarian Cancer.

Because of the race, the training this week isn't too tough, which is good. After the last 2 weeks, I've been fairly sore, as my workouts have upped the intensity level a bit. Good thing for Dr Ron Tribendis, outstanding triathlete and better chiropractor, who gave me a pre-race tune up today.

The more people that I reach out to about my sister's cancer and my fundraising, the more I find out how many lives cancer affects daily. In the last 2 weeks, 2 friends of mine have succumbed after long fights, and another was diagnosed for the second time last week. Not a day goes by that a friend, colleague, or acquaintance  doesn't tell me of a friend or loved one who's had cancer.

But on the good side all the time doctors and researchers are beginning new trials and finding more successful treatments, and people are surviving longer, stronger and healthier. There's more hope for more patients with more kinds of cancer for healthy survivorship than ever before.

I'll be back after the race and now a pause for the cause - Donate to the NOCC  in Julie's honor
HERE and click on the General Donation Button above the picture of the speedy triathlete in the yellow hat!

2 comments: